iAmHealthyFit is a community that empowers Women of Color to live happy and healthy. In part two of Yenory Pouncil’s interview, she shared some of her favorite exercises, advice on individuals just starting out, and her greatest achievements.
Yenory’s favorite exercises…
I love compound exercises. They work different muscle groups at the same time, and they are awesome if you are short in time. They are also perfect for working out at the office.
Compound exercises help you build more muscle and burn more calories.
Yenory shared 3 compound exercises you should try on her website:
Cobra Push Ups and Planks
- To do this exercise, first assume a standard push-up position, then walk your feet and your hips into a pike position, you are looking for an upside down V position.
- Keeping your hips elevated, lower your body until your chin reaches the floor.
- Lower your hips until they almost touch the floor and at the same time press up and raise your head and shoulders towards the ceiling. Reverse the movement back to the starting point position and repeat.
Plank with Hip Twist
- Start on a standard push-up position and place your elbows directly under your shoulder.
- Keep your hands in line with your elbows, and your body completely straight – don’t let your hips sag or stick them too high in the air.
- Twist your hips to the right and gently touch the ground. Return to the starting position and twist your hips to the left and gently touch the ground and repeat.
Single-Legs Push Ups
- Start by assuming a standard push-up position.
- Lift one leg off the floor so that you have three points connecting you to the ground.
- Maintaining your leg elevated complete the push up and repeat.
Exercises that are easier for someone just starting out…
Walking. When I began working out I started walking. I would walk for 30 minutes, four to five times per week. I lived close to a running track and used the loops to guide me. After a few weeks of walking, I began walking one loop and jogging the next until I could jog for the entire 30 minutes. You do not need to go crazy in the gym, you do not even need a gym. All you need to do is walk consistently for 30 minutes for four to fives times per week, and you will see results.
Yenory’s favorite health and fitness blogs, magazines, and/or books that have helped her on her journey…
I like reading Women’s Health, they usually have exercise ideas and recipes you can try. Since transitioning to a plant base diet, I am loving Food Heaven Made Easy blog/podcast. These ladies share lots of amazing nutritional information. I highly recommend it.
When I got into long distance running, I read Born to Run by Christopher McDougall and loved it. I learned about how to get better at running and why chia seeds are everything. If you are looking to get started with running, I highly recommend City Fit Girls! It is a community for women who run, and they share training plans and host group runs on the weekends. The Calorie Myth by Jonathan Bailor is also a great read that will help you eat cleaner.
Yenory’s greatest achievements so far…
When I think about my greatest achievement, I think it comes down to being open to growing and changing with iAmHealthyFit. For a long time, I wrote for me, I shared my journey for me, and I didn’t pay much attention to the people who were visiting my site. Now I am committed to sharing my journey to empower women of color to change their lives for the better. To teach them that they too can live healthier and happier and how they can make it happen. Knowing that my experience and my journey can in some small way help someone else, that is my greatest achievement. That is why I do what I do and what keeps me going.
To learn more about Yenory Pouncil’s healthy fit journey, go to iamhealthyfit.com.
All photos are taken from Yenory’s website.
Go back to Yenory Pouncil: iAmHealthyFit Part 1